I’m an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?

You can work up to 20 hours per week off-campus with your study permit as long as your permit includes a condition that says you can work off campus. You must also meet all the other requirements. You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program. You can’t work before your studies begin. Moreover, due to the pandemic, the Government of Canada has announced that to ease financial challenges due to COVID-19 , the federal government will remove the restriction that allows international students to work only a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session which means you are then allowed to go over 20 hours per week.

To learn more about this news, simply click the button below

Working ON or OFF Campus

As a study permit holder, you may be able to work on-campus or off-campus without getting a work permit. Make sure you meet the requirements before you find a job.

Work as a CO-OP Student or Intern

You will need to get a work permit if your study program includes a required co-op or internship placement. To apply for a co-op work permit, visit this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/intern.html

Work after you Graduate

You may also be able to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) to continue working in Canada after you graduate. To find out if you’re eligible for a PGWP, visit this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html

For complete assistance on getting a Canadian Study Permit and a strong application, kindly click the button below.

Do I need a permit to study in Canada?

A study permit is required to study in Canada although some people in some situations may not require a study permit. To learn more about who needs a study permit, visit this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/eligibility.html

You should apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. Only some people can apply for a study permit from within Canada. Before you apply, you must have a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution in Canada.

How you can apply for a study permit depends on if you’re applying from outside Canada, inside Canada or at the port of entry. Check this link on how to start an application: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/apply.html

Note that your study permit isn’t a travel document. Your permit lets you study in Canada, but you may also need a visitor visa, a temporary resident visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. If your study permit is approved, you will also be given either a visitor visa or an eTA, depending on which document you need. This document will let you enter Canada.

What are other types of Work Permit aside from a PGWP so I can work after I graduate?

Most people need a work permit to work in Canada. If you’re not sure if you need one, visit this link to find one: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/need-work-permit-work.html

There are 2 types of work permits: open work permits and employer-specific work permits.

Open Work Permits

An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer who is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions or who regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages

Employer-specific work permits

An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which include: the name of the employer you can work for, how long you can work and the location where you can work (if applicable).

Visit this link to learn more about the type of work will you do in Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/work-permit-types.html

To get a higher chance of landing a Canadian Job, consider investing in a powerful resume, cover letter and an improved linkedIn account. Click the link below to start your Canadian Journey. Bonus: Get the contact details of Canadian Recruiters!