Select Page

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Outland Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship

Outland Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship

Outland Spousal and Common-Law Partner Sponsorship

Canada has a strong belief that families are supposed to be together. That’s why the government of Canada does not shy away from providing its citizens and permanent residents the chance to be with their loved ones. Through the Outland Spousal and Common-Law Partner Sponsorship, you can bring your family to your side in beautiful Canada.

What Is The Outland Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship?
Outland spousal and common-law partner sponsorship lets you sponsor your spouse or common-law partner for permanent residency in Canada, even if they are foreign nationals that currently reside overseas.

The Outland spousal sponsorship process is different from the Inland spousal sponsorship process, which requires the premise of couples to live in Canada together. If you are unable to apply for spousal sponsorship from within Canada, outland sponsorship may be the best alternative for you.

To put it another way, if your loved one is not legally present in Canada at the time of application, Outland sponsorship is likely your only choice.

Outland sponsorship is also available to applicants who live in Canada. It permits you to travel to and from Canada while your application is being processed, and it may be the ideal option for people whose employment or personal circumstances demand them to be able to leave and enter the nation frequently.

It’s important to note that you and whoever you’re sponsoring must be approved by the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the sponsored person to acquire a Canadian Permanent Residency (PR) visa through this program.

Can I Apply Under the Outland Spousal/Common-Law Sponsorship Program?
For you to be eligible to sponsor your other half under the Outland application program, both you and whoever you’re sponsoring must meet the following criteria.

  • You, the sponsor, must be a legal Canadian citizen or a permanent resident;
  • both you and your sponsored individual must be at least 18 years old;
  • you must not have sponsored a spouse in Canada in five years before the application is submitted; and
  • neither you nor your sponsored individual are in prison, charged with serious crimes, or bankrupt

If you live in Quebec, there will be additional requirements that you need to meet. Unlike through the Inland Spousal Sponsorship, the person you’re sponsoring is not required to have a valid temporary status in the Outland application as long as they do not live inside of Canada.

However, the sponsored person must:

  • hold a temporary residency status in Canada, regardless of if they are a visitor, worker, or student;
  • be at least 18 years old; and
  • not be a close blood relative of the sponsor

The relationship between you and your spouse/common-law partner that you want to sponsor must also be proven to be a legal marriage, or a common-law partnership as defined and acknowledged by the IRCC.

In order for your marriage to be legally valid, it must either be legally done in the country or be legally completed outside of the country. If you married outside of Canada, both countries must legally recognize your union.

Marriages between people of the same sex, for example. Even while same-sex marriages are legal in Canada, they are not in all countries. Same-sex marriages must take place in a country where they are legal in order to be legally acceptable for sponsorship purposes.

However, if the marriage took place in a country where it is illegal, you can still apply for sponsorship if you can show that there is a common-law or conjugal relationship with sufficient and irrefutable evidence.

When you sponsor your spouse or common-law partner while living in Quebec, you must also commit to financially supporting the person you’re sponsoring.

This is known as an undertaking, and the length of time it lasts will be determined by the nature of your connection. This undertaking normally lasts three (3) years for spousal/common-law couples.

Is There A Minimum Income for Spousal Sponsorship?
If you are sponsoring your spouse or dependent children, you do not need to meet the Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) to be eligible for the program. However, if you are sponsoring your parents, grandparents, or other dependents, you must meet the MNI criteria to be eligible.

Here Are Related Topics You Can Read Now

Sponsor your family to Immigrate to Canada
Canada Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship
Inland Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship

Ready to Get a Job & Immigrate to Canada?

Discover your Options to Work and Immigrate to Canada! Apply Now!

What You Can Read Next

Top 10 Benefits of Canadian Citizenship

There are many compelling reasons to convert from permanent residency to Canadian citizenship. Aside from the security and pride that comes with citizenship, there are other benefits that permanent residents do not have. Here are top 10 benefits of Canadian citizenship.

read more

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This